Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Johansen side coming out

Children come out with their own personalities and they also get a lot of traits from the genes in their family. Take for instance our latest Garrett story. On Friday, we (being me, Garrett, Lexi, Porter, and Weston) head into town to pick up daddy from work. I being the type of person that tries to get as much as possible done even if it is completely impossible that it will not get done, thought that even though Weston was hungry we could run in really quick to get dad and then make it back to feed. Well about a 1/3 of the way into town Weston start screaming (note to reader: when Weston is ready to be feed, he will let you know, by screaming until he gets his way.) Thinking that I needed to put him off for another 20 mins. I asked Garrett to help me. While looking in the rear view mirror I asked, "Garrett, will you please unbuckle really fast and put Weston's binky in for me?" He thought for a moment and then with fear in his eyes he shook his head "NO". I tried again, "Garrett, Please!! I am not going very fast (30mph), just hurry and put his binky in and then hurry and get buckled back in." " No mom I can't, I can only do it if you pull over." he said with even more fear in his eyes. As we came to a stop light I pleaded one more time, "Garrett, we are stopping, hurry and put the binky in before the light turns green." You should have seen how fast and panicked he unbuckled, if you know my son at all, he rarely if ever hurries so this was a sight to see. As he put the binky in Weston's mouth he was in such a hurry that he didn't even give Weston a chance to close his mouth so it just fell out, so he tried again while keeping an eye on the red light. As the binky placement is happening, Lexi is in the back not helping the situation by yelling in panic to Garrett, "Hurry the light is going green Garrett, Hurry!!" The light did turn green while Garrett was up and it didn't matter if the binky was in or not he was back in his seat!!

You might be thinking that it was I that made my children fear being unbuckled, but no that would be the cautious Johansen in them. Thanks to once, Phil getting pulled over with the children in the car, Garrett asked if the policemen was going to take him, and Phil answered, "no, I have my seat belt on, I was just going too fast. This made Garrett think that if your seat belt is off they will take you away. I never thought that my children would be quite so cautious, however, when it comes to seat belts it makes it nice that I don't have to fight them on wearing one thanks to their Johansen genes.

Garrett at the Zoo--May 2008

3 comments:

Alisa Ann said...

And I thought we were cautious children. I love that Lexi is screaming in the background with a play-by-play on the traffic signal. She is so funny! I can just picture the fear in Garrett's eyes. I hope you didn't traumatize him too much!

JamieD said...

Cute story! You have very conceicentious children! Had this stort been about me kids the issue would be who could get out of their seat fast enough. I would say seatbelt, but they tend to play musical seats while I drive. And here's a question for you...when did you change your last name to Johanson? Or do I, spell Johnson wrong everytime?

Michelle said...

Haha! Funny story. Garrett is such a little cutie. Horray for seatbelt safety!